Child / Adult
Abuse & Neglect
24-Hour Hotline
1 (805) 654-3200

24-Hour Information About
Your Benefits Case
1 (888) HSA-4-INFO
1 (888) 472-4463

Training & Events HSA Events Calendar
Find Us On Facebook

The CalWORKs (California Work Opportunity & Responsibility to Kids) program can provide cash assistance to families with children.  Certain adults in the program are required to participate in welfare-to-work activities, such as looking for a job, attending job training, working, or furthering their education, which will improve their chances for long term employment and self-sufficiency.  CalWORKs employment specialists help parents develop and achieve their career goals, and assist with referrals to child care so that parents can work.  CalWORKs participants are automatically eligible for Medi-Cal and may qualify for CalFresh benefits.


You may qualify for CalWORKs if you are a low-income or unemployed parent with dependent children living at home.  Countable monthly income must be under a certain limit (see table below).  Since there are many kinds of deductions, you are encouraged to apply, even if your income is close to the countable income amount.  Also, the property limit is $2,000 per family or $3,000 per family if a member is over age 60 or has disabilities.  Examples of property include cash, bank accounts, vehicles, and homes, although the home you live in is not included.

When you apply, you will be asked for information about your residency, citizenship, Social Security Number, income, property, school attendance, and child support.  Additionally, adults will need to have their fingerprints and a photo taken, and children must get their immunizations.

Family Size Monthly Gross
Income Limit
Family Size Monthly Gross
Income Limit
1 person $591 6 people $1,828
2 people $968 7 people $2,009
3 people $1,200 8 people $2,187
4 people $1,424 9 people $2,372
5 people $1,626 10 people $2,575

Each extra person

These figures are current as of July 2013

How To Apply

First, use the easy online tool to check your eligibility.

There are two ways to apply for CalWORKs:

1) Fill out an online application for CalWORKs Cash Aid for Families with Children here (Note: an in-person interview is also required.)

2) Apply in person at an Intake & Eligibility Center or Community Service Center.

Online Report Forms are Now Available
You may now complete your Quarterly Reports (QR7) online anytime by clicking here, starting the first day of the month they are due.

HSA Assistance Programs booklet (English)
HSA Assistance Programs booklet (Spanish)
Childcare - Child Development Resources
Map to Locations & Services

To view a CalWORKs orientation video,
click a language below.

Human Services Agency Policies

Useful Links
Free cell phone (with 250 minutes & 250 texts) available to low-income individuals who participate in Medi-Cal, CalFresh, CalWORKs, SSI (among other programs)
Apply online at: www.assurancewireless.com or www.reachoutmobile.com
Or mail in a completed Service Request Form by 6/6/2013
Or call (888) 898-4888 to request an application
Copyright 2013 County of Ventura California. All rights reserved. View our Privacy Policy